So, we hadn’t used our oven yet, so I decided to try it out tonight to make sure it worked and all. After a few minutes of preheating, it definitely caught fire! Fear not, internet, it was very small and I put it out straight away thanks to my lightning fast Kempo reactions.

I’m not sure what caused it, because the oven was completely empty when I turned it on. But, who knows what’s been lurking down there since the last people moved out and we moved in. I emailed my landlord about it, and I’m sure he’ll have it looked at (thus far I’ve been very impressed with the responsiveness of our landlord, he even climbed out on the roof to single handedly brave a colony of hornets that was building a nest between the windows of our bathroom).

Meanwhile, I spent the latter part of the evening scrubbing down the entire kitchen to remove the thin layer of fire extinguisher powder which had settled upon it.

Every now and then, it’s nice to have cold hard proof that you are quick-thinking and level-headed in emergencies. I hope my next Pittsburghian adventure will be less…uh…smokey!